Hello

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Sat Nov 25 01:37:56 UTC 2006

For publication, I think macrons look much neater, plus they help newcomers
to relate texts to Andrews' vocabulary (in the *Workbook* of the revised
addition of his *Introduction to classical Nahuatl) and Karttunen's
*Analytical dictionary of Nahuatl*. They are a real nuisance to type,
though. I like Paul de Wolf's solution, used in his *Diccionario
español-náhuatl* (México/La Paz, Instituto de Investigaciones Históricas,
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México/Fideicomiso Teixidor/Universidad
Autónoma de Baja California Sur, 2003). He just hits the vowel key twice for
the long vowels. It looks strange at first, but its logic is evident. This
has the advantage of not being ambiguous, unlike colons and capitals. I'm
going to offer this option to my students next semester, since several have
complained that fighting the software distracted them from focusing on
linguistic issues. (I highly recommend de Wolf's dictionary, by the way;
it's a massive, comprehensive lexicon that integrates most of the major
vocabularies, restoring long vowels and saltillos wherever possible, with
access being through the Spanish translations.)