Long vowel notation

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Sat Nov 25 21:20:26 UTC 2006

Estimado John:

Thanks for your input. I have one doubt:

Does the lack of vowel ellision in your examples produce a result that
sounds different from long vowels, perhaps a syllable boundary between the
two like vowels, distinguished by stress? I suppose this would be harder to
hear in the last example.

Saludos,

David

Listeros,
The use of the double vowel to represent length can be confusing for
variants that tend not to eliminate one of two vowels that come together at
a morpheme boundary. In Huastecan Nahuatl we have, for example, niitztoc
(ni-itztoc), "I am [estar]"; quiittah " (qui-ittah), "they see him-her-it";
mooholinia (mo-oholinia), "it moves".
John