Nahuatl movies

R. Joe Campbell campbel at indiana.edu
Sun Oct 1 21:40:53 UTC 2006

Nocnihuan,

   I clicked on the web address that Miguel supplied and saw the list of
nine movies and wished that HBO or American Movie Classics would schedule
them for October.

   When I saw the title "Llamatlan", it piqued my curiosity, so I clicked
on it, thinking that maybe it was a hybridized Spanish word (Lugar de
llamas).  No such luck -- if I remember correctly, they translated it as
"Lugar de mujeres ancianas", indicating that someone at some point had
interpreted "Ilamatlan" incorrectly, perceiving the initial "I" as an "L"
-- and no one in the group knew any better.

You might add:

  http://imdb.com/title/tt0441022/

to see "El muerto", a movie based on the comic book of the same name.
Although it isn't totally scripted in Nahuatl, it does contain numerous
attempts to include Nahuatl phrases in the dialogue.

Iztayohmeh,

Joe