Nahuatl movies

John F. Schwaller schwallr at potsdam.edu
Wed Oct 4 12:26:04 UTC 2006

At 02:12 AM 10/4/2006, you wrote:
>Some traditions also have Nahuas traveling and having nahuatl
>placenames like Seattle (Ce-Atl), and Michigan (Michican) among
>many.  Could this explain why the nanny was speaking nahuatl in
>California...possibly.

I think it is far easier to imagine that a Hollywood director did not
know one native language from another and placed a Nahuatl speaker in
"The Mask of Zorro" than to imagine that the movie was faithfully
representing the ethnic mixture of California at the time the events
supposedly took place.  Hey folks, this is fiction!!!!  Nothing else
about the movie is historically accurate.  Why should a Nahuatl speaker be?

John F. Schwaller
President
SUNY Potsdam
44 Pierrepont Ave.