Nahuatl movies

David Becraft david_becraft at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 7 04:37:57 UTC 2006

At 08:26 10/04/2006, you wrote:

"Nothing else about the movie is historically accurate.  Why should a
Nahuatl speaker be?"

You are correct indeed about the movie, its a work of fiction; and the
Hollywood Director and Producer probably can't distinguish a Paiute from a
Mayo, let alone their different dialects or any  Indigenous Californian
Languages.
I think for the sake of historical accuracy though, nahuatl speakers should
not be considered historically inaccurate in 1800's California.  There is
enough Documentary evidence to show Nahuatl and even Otomi speakers in
California during that time, before and after too.
Take the word "Chicano", obviously a combination of Spanish and Nahuatl, yet
purely a Californian word that can be attributed to the "Meshica"
farmworkers who worked alonside the Spanish speaking farmworkers.  /meshica/
+ /-ano/ - /me/ + /chi/ - /shi/= chicano

Tlashtlawi,

Pancho