Nahuatl scholarship

b.leeming at rivers.org b.leeming at rivers.org
Fri Oct 27 12:34:42 UTC 2006

Listeros,

I posted an inquiry to the list back in July asking for information on who
is currently doing scholarship on the corpus of 16th-18th century
Nahuatl-language documents that is the focus of much of Lockhart’s work.
While I received a few responses (Schwaller, Wood, Gilchrist – thank you!),
my hunch is that there may be more of you actively reading posts now that
the academic year is in full swing and so I would like to pose part of my
original query again.

In particular, it is the second part of my question (which was not
responded to) that I would like to resubmit.  I wrote:

“As a soon-to-be doctoral student who is hoping to focus his research on
Nahuatl documents such as these, I am interested in determining what are
the persistent problems, questions and unexplored avenues that remain.  Or,
put another way, where would you advise a would-be scholar who wants to
work with Nahuatl source material turn his attention?”

Ben Leeming
The Rivers School
Weston, MA