chichimeca (false etymology/mnemonic/rude joke)

John F. Schwaller schwallr at potsdam.edu
Fri Oct 27 13:02:47 UTC 2006

At 05:39 AM 10/27/2006, you wrote:
>In other words it seems as though the same method of language
>teaching might be working in both directions. But on the other hand,
>is a Chichimeca word being distorted in order to translate it into
>Nahuatl and then into Spanish?
>Susan Gilchrist

Chichi is a curious Nahuatl word to begin with, since it does not
exist in the classic singular absolutive form.  That is there is no
word "chichitl"  It only exists as "chichi"  This has led some
scholars to assume that it was a word borrowed from some other
language.  There are two other Nahuatl words that on the surface are
similar.  The verb to suckle "chi:chi:-" written with two long
vowels, and the word for saliva "chihchitl", and lastly to another
verb "chihchi-" to mend or patch something.

I would guess that this is an instance of a false etymology.  If it
were done by a Dominican, it might well be influenced by the verbal
pun that is used in iconography of the "dog of God."

John F. Schwaller
President
SUNY Potsdam
44 Pierrepont Ave.