Nahuatl scholarship

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at mac.com
Fri Oct 27 17:08:06 UTC 2006

Michael,
          A few months ago there was a discussion about how people on
the list got into Nahuatl. I have been putting off making my
contribution, but your mail on the “New Philology” has given me
good excuse to do it now. Let me start off by saying that I consider
myself within that tradition.
          While doing my MA in Spanish at USC, I took a course in
Latin American Colonial Literature with Mabel Moraña, and read
“Visión de los vencidos” by Miguel León Portilla. After asking
myself why I couldn’t read the texts in the original language, I
searched around LA for someplace to study Nahuatl. I took two
semesters of Classical Nahuatl with William Bright at UCLA, using
Andrew’s text and workbook, which accompany me, rebound, to this
day. At the same time I approached Jim Lockhart who, although I
wasn’t a student of his, generously (a characteristic that
distinguishes him) invited me to participate in the informal study
group he held at his home. So for the next two years, twice a month,
I sat at Jim’s kitchen table with other grad students, read and
commented Carochi, and parsed, analyzed and translated mundane
Nahuatl documents. Using the expression that Joe and others have
used, I was hooked immediately. I think there are two things that
were involved in the start of this love affair. First, Nahuatl
grammar is a beautifull piece of machinery: everything is systematic
and easily understandable (the only exceptions I can think of are the
Classical plural noun endings, and the passive/applicative/causative
verb radicals). Second, reading mundane documents lets you sit down
with an indian who lived 300 hundred years ago and listen to his or
her comments written in Nahuatl on daily life and interactions with
Spaniards. It’s fascinating. And I think this an aspect of New
Philology that has integrated itself into the work I do with native
speakers. More on this in a moment.
          USC wouldn’t let me use Nahuatl to satisfy my second
language requirement. They said I needed to study a real language, so
I took two semesters of Latin, and then forgot it. I went on to do my
Ph.D. in Literature at UCSD. My dissertation, "Procesos de sujeción
colonial en el municipio tlaxcalteca del siglo XVI y la respuesta
indígena," was basically a discourse analysis of the Nahuatl text of
Las Actas de Tlaxcala.
          I returned to Zacatecas in 1993 with my family (my wife and
I met while I was studying to be an elementary school teacher at the
Escuela Normal “Manuel Avila Camacho” in Zacatecas, 1977-1981),
and began to work in the Facultad de Humanidades at the Universidad
Autónoma de Zacatecas, teaching classes in Hispanic Literature,
Classical Nahuatl, and finishing my dissertation.
          During that time I became aware that there were many native
speakers of Nahuatl studying as undergraduates at the university. I
immediately began to work daily with two of them, Urbano Francisco
Martínez and Delfina de la Cruz de la Cruz. As I began to learn
conversational Nahuatl, I immediately became aware of the fact that
Classical Nahuatl and the Modern Nahuatl of the Huasteca were simply
two variants of a single system: in other words, one set of rules
explains all. In fact, over the years, I have come to the conclusion
that if you study either one in isolation, it’s like trying to read
a book with some of the pages torn out.
          Together Urbano, Delfina and I have developed a series of
courses in Older and Modern Nahuatl which we teach at the UAZ, both
during the school year and during the Summer. We also founding two
non-profit institutes, one in Mexico (Instituto de Docencia e
Investigación Etnológica de Zacatecas) and one in the US (Macehualli
Educational Research) for the purpose of funding our teaching and
research projects.
          Currently we have about 10 indigenous college students on
scholarship working with us in the preparation of a monolingual
dictionary and a monolingual grammar of Modern Huastecan Nahuatl
(using “Classical” spelling and word entry conventions). I have
also recently started working with two students who are native
speakers of wixarika (huichol), and sometime in the future we will
offer courses and do research projects in this area. I also work
currently with mundane Nahuatl documents from Colonial Western Mexico.
          We work on a series of principles:
1. The relationship between Older and Modern Nahuatl (or any
indigenous) language and culture is one of continuity, not of
rupture. One can not be understood in isolation from the other.
2. Indigenous students need to study older and modern aspects of
their language and culture; and they need to review, comment on, and
participate in (not as passive informants, but as research
assistants) the Western production of knowledge concerning
Mesoamerica. They need to be authors of their own projects in this area.
3. Bilingualism is a good thing; the lack of monolingual academic
(especially reference) materials for native speakers is not.
Institutions of higher education all over the world) need to realize
that general education courses in ethnic studies offered in the
dominant language are of zero value if they are not accompanied by
courses in indigenous languages taught in person by native speakers.
4. Mexican institutions of higher education need to transform
themselves from deculturalization machines into spaces where
indigenous students can study a career in Spanish, and at the same
time become educated in their native language and culture,
contributing actively to its revitalization and the extension of its
use in urban society. However, since in general, Mexico and its
educational institutions have neither the interest nor the resources
for developing this, partnerships with “1st world” institutions
will be indispensable. But they will be indispensable for both sides.
          As I said at the beginning, I consider myself within the
New Philology. I also consider that the future of this school, as
well as the future of indigenous studies in general will look
something like what we are doing here in Zacatecas.
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Profesor de lengua y cultura nahua
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica de Zacatecas, A.C.
Tacuba 152, int. 47
Centro Histórico
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000
México