manhattan

Susan Gilchrist gilchrist.susan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 06:24:27 UTC 2006

> I couldn't tell from the original message if the person was asking for
> an etymology of Manhattan, or what.  But, right, it's not Nahuatl. >>:-)

I'm sorry I was unclear, I meant to cite "man + hat + tan" just as an
example of something that isn't an etymology. I think it's just a way
for school children to remember the double t. At the same time, it
might be that whoever transcribed what the local Manhattanite said was
the name tried to spell it in an easy way.
Susan Gilchrist