chichimeca (false etymology/mnemonic/rude joke)

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Fri Oct 27 13:59:18 UTC 2006

I couldn't tell from the original message if the person was asking for
an etymology of Manhattan, or what.  But, right, it's not Nahuatl. >>:-)

Fran has more experience with Eastern Algonquian than I do, but
"Manhattan," which would be from Munsee, seems to combine the terms for
'island' (Manha-) and 'hill' (-attan). In a distant cousin language I
know, Miami-Illinois, the first term is /minahanw-/ and the second
/atenw-/. I find the double -tt- curious, though. Such doubling of
consonants by European records often points to a long vowel in the
vicinity or to a preaspirated consonant.