yexanztica

Amapohuani at aol.com Amapohuani at aol.com
Sat Apr 7 03:28:07 UTC 2007

Estimado Pablo:

Apart from David Wright's email, just a reminder to all that it is helpful to
let the list know what one is citing, for example, a publication or a
manuscript, title, year, page/folio, etc. That way, if some of us have the same book,
or the ms has been published in a critical edition, then we can doublecheck
the section it appears in, whether or not an item has been inadvertently
spelled in a different way, and so on.

For example, it is my experience that sometimes books have outright errors,
or a ms may be a copy of something, and in the process of copying the scribe(s)
can literally misinterpret the characters and make an analysis more
difficult. And some books and mss have more outright errors than others.

I think you have the thrust of the item, but to find the most
recognizable/consultable [sorry for the invented word] constituent parts [not that you can't
break them down even more] then it would look something like 'yexcan [or
excan] quiztica' or 'yexcan [or excan] quizqui' or the like -- a standard statement
in colonial Nahuatl doctrinas. By 'recognizable/consultable' I mean something
that you can more readily look up in Molina, like these entries from Molina
2004 [the most recent version of the 1571 edition] on 36r of the NahtoSpan
side: "Yexcan. en tres parts s, o lugares" [sic] followed by "Yexcan quizqui.
partido o diuidido en tres partes."

Good luck with your studies.

Ye ixquich.
Barry