N áhuatl mandatory in public schools in Mexico City

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at mac.com
Mon Aug 20 15:04:51 UTC 2007

Douglas and Marcos,
	The general rule, according to my experience, is that the offering
of government positions is one step in the standard procedure for
buying out/ silencing leaders of social/political movements in
Mexico. So, by definition, an indigenous leader would not be able to
hold a government position, and continue to represent the interests
of indians.
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Profesor de lengua y cultura nahua
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica de Zacatecas, A.C.
Tacuba 152, int. 47
Centro Histórico
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000
México