Starting to learn Nahuatl

Campbell, R Joe campbel at indiana.edu
Sat Aug 25 18:26:45 UTC 2007

Owentzin,

   ...just my 2 cents worth off the top of my head -- in spite of the
fact that I consult the Andrews Grammar many times every day, I can't
imagine using it for entry into Nahuatl, particularly without a
teacher.  Thelma Sullivan's grammar, particularly together with
Carochi, seems to me to be an easy way to accumulate enough familiarity
with the language so that one can read Andrews with more profit.
   Andrews' presentation of the language aims at a much deeper
theoretical view of the language, in a model of grammar that is simply
*his*.  His presentation is not like the presentation of grammatical
reasoning among linguists trained in the second half of the last
century -- namely, pulling the reader along with
*reasons* for believing the forms that he posits as basic and *reasons*
for believing his lines of derivation.  The reader is expected to
believe all the details because they are *declared*.  I have found (in
both the first edition and the revised one) that in cases where I might
not go along with his explanation on first, second, and third reading,
I later found support for his point of view in some other part of the
grammar.  This leads to some increase in faith in places where you are
not initially convinced by his presentation.
   On the other hand, his "reach" for the depths of the grammar, a
subtle picture of the soul of the language, sometimes stretches beyond
what is supported by the observable facts.  This would lead some people
to think of parts of the description to leave the arena of "science"
and cross the border into "religion".

   To shorten a story that threatens to become too long, my personal
leaning would be to start with Sullivan and Carochi.  ...and proceed
with Andrews later.

I am sure that you will enjoy all of the time you dedicate to Nahuatl.

Joe