[Fwd: Re: [Aztlan] Autonomous Indigenous People Who Speak Nahuatl]

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at mac.com
Tue Aug 28 17:49:19 UTC 2007

John,
That map is deceiving. It reports to show the number of indigenous
people, not the number of native speakers. Don´t ask me what criteria
they used to identify these people (From the perspective of the
native speakers I work with, being a native speaker is a requirement
for claiming indigenous identity. This is obviously very different
from US indigenous identity). If you want a more reliable number of
native speakers, go to
http://www.inegi.gob.mx/est/default.aspx?c=2397
John