Nahuatl

Owen Thomas oenthomas at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 15:41:14 UTC 2007

Frances and listeros,

Your Analytical Dictionary of Nahuatl is an excellent source for entering
into study of the variations of theme on a sound. I recommend it to any who
has interest in 'NAHUA-TL. There are many more words very similar in your
dictionary., such as 'NAHUALIZ-TLI', translated by you as 'sorcery'.

I find this very curious in conjunction with the popular books by Carlos
Castaneda that concentrate on the mysterious figure of a Mexican magician
called  'the nagual'.  Is htere anyone who has researched the history of
various uses in this family of sounds?

On Nov 30, 2007 7:03 PM, Frances Karttunen <karttu at nantucket.net> wrote:

> The use of the word Nahuatl as a language name and the term Nahuah as
> an ethnic term have been mined out of old sources, but I am not sure
> they were much used in precontact time.
>
> Nahuatlahtolli 'clear, intelligible speech' was contrasted with
> popoloca 'to speak gibberish.' so the Mesoamerican world could be
> divided into "us" and "them" in terms of "people whose language is
> mutually intelligible with ours" and "people whose language is
> unintelligible."
>
> That's different from Mexihcatl/Mexihcah, Acolhuah/Acolhuahqueh, etc.
>
> Fran

We are connected

Owen