Broken Spears - Broken Bones

John F. Schwaller schwallr at potsdam.edu
Thu Dec 6 16:00:11 UTC 2007

Colleagues,

The Library of Congress is opening a new permanent exhibit of materials
dealing with the conquest and colonial period of Latin America.  I has
served as a consultant, and they asked me to do a translation of two of
the pieces from Leon Portilla's _Broken Spears_  One is the passage from
the Anales de Tlatelolco that contains the disputed phrase "broken
spears" which is in fact "broken bones" ("omitl" not "mitl")  The other
is from the Cantares mexicanos, an elegy for Tlatelolco.

I offer these for your "pleasure."  These are very difficult passages to
translate, and I was also forced into casting it into an English that
would be accessible to the most general audience, so my apologies in
advance for my poetic license.

----------------
Broken Bones Littered the Road

Thus in our place this happened; we saw it, we will marvel at it.  The
crying, the pity caused us to suffer exhaustion.

Broken bones littered the road; crushed heads, roofless houses, walls
were made red with blood.

Worms crawled through noses in the streets; the house walls were
slippery with brains.

The water was dyed red with blood.  Thus we went along; we drank the
brackish water.

Still, there an adobe foundation, here a well were protected with a
shield.

Still, in vain someone might toast something on a shield.

We ate tzompantli wood, grass from the salt flats, the adobe bricks, the
lizards, mice, bits of dust.

Worms were toasted on a shield; there, on the fire the meat was cooked.
They ate it.

-------
Elegy for Tlatelolco

Only the poetry of mercy was spreading there in Mexico, there in
Tlatelolco.  Beyond is only the Place of Recognition.

Giver of Life, it is good that you have favored, you have washed our
faces.  Indeed, we your people will perish.

You have raged and indeed we went in misery, we people.  We saw the
affliction in the Place of Knowledge.

You dispersed and destroyed your people in Tlatelolco.  Affliction upon
affliction come fall down in the Place of Revelation, when we were
weary, we were lazy, oh Giver of Life.

Teardrops fall, crying protection in Tlatelolco.  The Mexican women have
gone to the lake.  Truly they take leave.  Where do our friends go?

Truly they leave the city, the water-hill, of Mexico.  Smoke rises, fog
spreads there.  You caused it, oh Giver of Life.

Weep and realize this, oh friends: you have abandoned the Mexican
people.  The water is bitter and the food is bitter.  The Giver of Life
made this happen in Tlatelolco.

(c) 2007 J. F. Schwaller for the Library of Congress

--
John F. Schwaller