DVD "The Other Conquest"

Kier Salmon k_salmon at ipinc.net
Wed Dec 12 03:10:54 UTC 2007

I also got it from Amazon and had never heard it before.  I viewed it
with the subtitles off, since I'd like to learn to "hear" nahuatl as I
begin to learn it.  I find myself envying my friends who buy CDs of
different languages and pop them into the player on their car.  They
don't utilize them well!  As a fully bilingual person with smatterings
of three other languages; there's a way to use them to get the best
use out of them!  I want those CDs in Nahuatl.
I wish I had a script of the movie so I could listen to the nahuatl
and see the nahuatl (in roman characters, albeit) as they speak.
As for the movie, I've been doing a lot of studying of stuff published
on Cortés and the aftermath of the destruction of Tenochtitlan and I
have to say that the historical inaccuracies sort of grabbed me by the
neck.  In particular, Tecuichpo/Doña Isabel's role in the movie was a-
historical to the nth degree.  As I remember my studies, her rape by
Cortes happened in his house while Malina was still present; she was
never an interpreter for him, by that time he spoke that language well
enough and he used her as a prize for his upper class followers (three
of them, I believe?)  The scene where she embraces her unborn child
and tells HC that it is "her" child certainly doesn't square with the
known facts... she bore the babe, refused to see it, and in her will
that was the only child of her body never mentioned.
Cortés "giving" her the name of "Doña Isabel" in the middle of what
was essentially a trial is ridiculous.  The naming thing happened
during baptism.
Still, it's better than a lot of films I've seen trying to depict the
amerind.  I couldn't bring myself to watch "Apocalypto."  THe reviews
on the religious implications bothered me.
The "easy" interpretation of christian theology was wrong as well.
Many of the concepts did not exist in nahuatl (grace? salvation? etc)
and it was many years before the indio population had grown up with
those concepts that they could be talked of easily.