Pronunciation Questions

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at mac.com
Tue Feb 20 21:28:53 UTC 2007

Hi Doug,
	I don`t know anything about number 2. And I don't understand number
3. The example seems to suggest that he is saying that all word final
-n's were originally -m's. That doesn't sound right.
	On number 1. In Huastecan Nahuatl, at least, syllable final -l's are
devoiced. Here is a fun example. In Older Central Nahuatl you have
elnamiqui, niqu, "to remember s.t." In Modern Huastecan Nahuatl you
would have ilnamiqui, but since the -l is devoiced, it then
assimilates the following -n and produces a double devoiced l. So you
get illamiqui, nic. Then you can add the tla- non-specific non-human
object which bumps out the weak initial i- of the verb, giving
tlallamiqui, ni. "to be intelligent". But, last of all, the initial
tl- also becomes a devoiced l, so you get lallamiqui, ni. "to be
intelligent".
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Profesor de lengua y cultura nahua
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica de Zacatecas, A.C.
Tacuba 152, int. 47
Centro Histórico
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000
México