final n

Campbell, R Joe campbel at indiana.edu
Fri Feb 23 02:51:02 UTC 2007

John,

   Your questions have sent me back to listening to field recordings to
assure myself of what I  1) thought I  2) remembered hearing  (in some
cases, not a few
years ago).  But I have now realized that it may take me weeks, so I
wanted to get back to you with some thoughts (although based on stale
memories).

   In the speech of someone from San Agustin Oapa, Guerrero, where you
can frequently anticipate that people are "n droppers" just by hearing
their Spanish (i.e., my friend says "ellos toca"), I hear no trace of
nasality in the final vowel.  In fact, the final vowels of much of
highland Mexican Spanish trail off in voicing (visible in a sound
spectrogram), matching the description of what an [h] is and is
perceived by people not accustomed to Mexican Spanish as actually
*being* an [h], which for people from /s/ aspirating dialects can be
perceived as being intended as an /s/.

   As I said, I don't hear a voiceless nasal as the result of what I am
calling "nasal dropping".  Some years ago, I recorded some Tarascan
speech.  The Tarascan voiceless nasals practically jump off the tape at
you (I was going to say  "literally", but we overuse that enough
already), so there is no doubt in my mind or ear what a *voiceless
nasal* sounds like.

   I would like to separate some of the issues in our cracker barrel
discussion, so I'll continue in a separate message.

Iztayohmeh,

Joe