yucatan etymology

Frye, David dfrye at umich.edu
Tue Jan 16 21:04:55 UTC 2007

Dear nahuatlatos:

I'd like your professional opinion(s) on the following statement, which I frankly find dubious: "The name Yucatan comes from the Nahuatl language Yokatlan, meaning 'place of richness'." The source cited is Campbell, Lyle (1997). American Indian Languages: The Historical Linguistics of Native America. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Pg. 403. I cannot see how "Yokatlan" would mean "place of riches" in Nahuatl. I assume Campbell was analyzing it as yohca(tia) "riches" + -tlan "place of", but (from the invaluable Karttunen's dictionary) yohca(tia) means "to take possession of, to appropriate," so by extension I can imagine it meaning "possession," which is not at all the same thing as "riches." Opinions?

Many thanks, David Frye