Colonial documents in non-nahuatl languages

b.leeming at rivers.org b.leeming at rivers.org
Wed Jan 24 15:14:49 UTC 2007

Magnus,

One unique class of colonial documents you might consider are the so-called
"Testerian" catechisms, pictorial manuscripts used in the evangelization of
the indigenous population of Mexico by the Spanish friars.  While not
written texts per se, the fact that we know the content of the standard,
text-based Spanish catechisms being used during that period means that
these pictorial manuscripts offer a fascinating (and little-explored)
opportunity to translate the signs employed and unpack the cultural
significance of their use.  It is also fascinating to consider the role
played by indigenous *tlacuiloque* in the creation of these mss. and the
degree to which their own cosmology influeced their choice of signs and the
meaning these might have had on the indigenous, Christian population.
(This was the topic of may masters thesis - which I would be happy to
share.)  In some cases glosses reveal that the language represented by the
signs is either Otomí, Mixtec, or Nahuatl; obviously one who has some
knowledge of these languages would have greater insight into the meaning
and significance of the signs.  I have done extensive bibliographic
research on this topic, and would be glad to share those resources with
you.  See if you can lay your hands on Anne Norman's 1985 dissertation
titled, "Testerian Codices: Hieroglyphic Catechisms for Native Conversion
in New Spain" - a great place to start.

Ben Leeming

      To      nahuatl at lists.famsi.org
      cc
      bcc
      Subject       [Nahuat-l] Colonial documents in non-nahuatl
languages
"magnus hansen" <magnuspharao at gmail.com>
Sent by: nahuatl-bounces at lists.famsi.org
01/24/2007 03:23 PM CET

Hi Listeros

I am supposed to write a university paper about a mesoamerican colonial
document of some sort. Having worked mostly with nahuatl I would like to
find a document in another indigenous language. I am particularly
interested in documents in Totonac or Mixe but also possibly Otomi,
Huastec, or another Mayan language. Any document could be of interest, such
as Titulos, Catechisms, Testaments etc. but documents that haven't been
thoroughly analysed are of course preferable, although of course an
existing translation would be helpful.

If any of you have knowledge about published documents of this sort I would
appreciate a reference, or maybe if there are any collections of such
documents published that I might browse through looking for something.

In advance
Thank you

Magnus P Hansen