[Aztlan] Calcos? Calque?

David Becraft david_becraft at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 19 18:37:43 UTC 2007

Brokawtzin,

The reason I want to use these Nahuatl terms is because I am trying to
distance myself from the
theory of the "evolution of writing" as espoused by Bishop Warburton and
I.J. Gelb.  Terms such as "hieroglyph", "glyph", "pictograph", and
"ideograph" are ambiguous concepts, as well as ethnocentric.  As it is
common with many scientists to use non-english words for scientific
terminology by using Greek or Latin roots, I am also trying to use
non-Greek/Latin roots for further developing a "writing" terminology in
Nahuatl.

The Nahuatl terms I propose are obviously not organic Nahuatl concepts per
say; But the theoretical application of these terms are important since
Mesoamerican (specifically Central Mexican) writing was based primarily on
"Semasiography" and served as a mixed system of writing which included
"Logography", "Phoneticism", and "Syllabic" elements.  The Greek words
themselves only serve to conceptualize the concept of writing as a
theoretical function for "Near Eastern" writing, to quote I.J. Gelb.  As can
be seen by research, Mesoamerica developed writing independently of Near
Eastern cultures, and as such, a well developed terminology for studying the
"mixed" system of writing in Mesoamerica is integral for continued research
in this area.

In order to explain "Semasiography" as applied to Mesoamerican writing, I
think that a terminology more in tune with an Indigenous perspective of its
lexicon might be helpful in analyzing at least on a linguistic level the
different aspects of writing as understood semantically and metaphorically;
granted, they are calques.

By these Nahuatl terms, I intend to lay down the foundation for further
analyzing and studying the writing systems as "understood" by Mesoamericans
by using linguistic frameworks that outside of this current research could
potentially be further developed for a complete study of Mesoamerican
writing.  These same concepts could be used in Purepecha, Mazahua, Maya,
etc.

Just to recap (correct me if I'm wrong):

For *Semasiography*
I proposed: *Nezcayoticuiloa* (I used Nezcayotia instead of Nezcayotl):
Nezcayotia [ne:zka:yo:tia]=to mean, denote, indicate something (Karttunen
1983:172)

You proposed: *Nezcayocuilolli*

The problem I was having with Nezcayotia was that I didn't know what to do
with the "-tia".  I had thought:
*Nezcayotiacuiloa*
*Nezcayoticuiloai*

Does the elimination of "-tia" change the meaning of the word to mean
"Nezcayo(tl)?

Once again, Thank you for your feedback, your comments, your suggetions, and
your words of caution; they will all be taken into consideration.

David F. Becraft
Anthropology
Southern Oregon University
Ashland, Oregon