Mesoamerican Codices

Walter Koenig amoxtli at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 6 16:51:56 UTC 2007

Dear fellow Listeros,

Thank you for your replies and suggestions. I am familiar with the
codices on the FAMSI site and also with the publications of ADEVA,
though these are not comprehensive and also only give partial
information I seek.
I know of several lists that are partial, for example, in Anders and
Jansen: "Schrift und Buch im Alten Mexiko", Gordon Brotherston:
"Painted books from Mexico : codices in UK collections and the world
they represent" or the two recent books by Elizabeth Hill Boone. It
has been years since I consulted the "Handbook of Middle American
Indians" on the subject and I will do so today as per the suggestion
of Galen and also "Los códices de México : historias extrordinarias"
as suggested by Kier. I have access to both.

I am in the process of reviewing some books and realized that there
is no comprehensive listing of codices that I know of which gives
their approximate place of origin and age, their present location,
physical description and content, as well as if they were ever
reproduced with bibliographical information. I would think such an
overview would be most helpful to students of Mesoamerican Studies in
a variety of disciplines. If any of you ever come across anything,
even partial, please let me know.

I am in the process of compiling such a list for my own purposes and
if I think it meets the standards for distribution I may submit it.

Thanks again for your kind replies. It was encouraging to receive
your emails.

Best Wishes,

Walter O. Koenig