xinechpalehuican

Henry Kammler h.kammler at em.uni-frankfurt.de
Fri Mar 2 14:42:37 UTC 2007

A mind boggling list indeed.

>>   axtic.  moist; watery.
Maybe the archaic root variant /a:l/ of /a:/ (like in /a:ltepe:tl/)
developed an additional variant by way of devoicing the /l/, like [a:l]
 > [a:L] > *[a:?]

Karttunen has /a:x=in/ for a certain insect and a medical substance
(liquid?) that it secretes.

>>   ayotzincuepa =nin.  boltear al modo de espan~a.  55m-2
>>   ayotzincuepa =nin.  boltear o trepar al modo de espan~a.  71m2-1
Even the Spanish part is a riddle to me. Would that be a military or
chess term? "flipping like a turtle" "changing sides like pumpkins"?

>> ** can this be related to "nequi"?
>>    ...but what is the "chi-"?
>>
>>   chinequiztli.  nin~o que llora mucho.  71m1-16

There's a risk of comparing apples with pears but modern Oapan (and
some neighbors) has that clitic too:
chi pite:ntsi:n "pretty small"
chi kwaltsi:n "really pretty"

tichi amigos yeskeh "we will be real good friends" (alligator talking
to Old Burro trying to convince him to carry him to the river)

>> ** probably "i:xtli" and "tetl", and the "-uh" is a possessive
>> marker,
>>    but what is the "o"?
>>   ixteouh =to.  nin~a del ojo.  71m1-16

It might be connected to /o'tli/ "way", though this has the possessed
form /o'wi/ but the root is /o'/ and in a body part term it may have
taken on a different morphological behavior. Many "ifs" involved
again...

>>   pozolatl.  beuida de mayz cozido.  71m2-14

I'd spontaneously agree with Galen. /posolli/ is basically "mayz
cocido" (Karttunen references it with /poso:ni/)

Sa:n o:me nocentavitoh o:nikinkalakti ;-)

Henry