xinechpalehuican

jonathan.amith at yale.edu jonathan.amith at yale.edu
Fri Mar 2 15:47:41 UTC 2007

Hi Joe,

Interesting problems... kept me away from transcribing for some time!

ahuitoca =nin.  pensar alguno que le reprehenden otros y que le rin~en.
     71m1-17
ahuitoca =nin.  tomar por si la reprehension que se da a
    todos en general.  71m2-2
ahuitoca =nino.  sentirse dela reprehension,tomando porsi lo que en
    general  se amonesta atodos.  71m1-19

The fact that all are given as reflexives is interesting. Molina is usually
careful when there are reflexive and nonreflexive uses of a transitive verb to
give both. My first impression is that the first element is from a?wa the
transitive verb ?to scold? with vowel weakening of final /a/ to /i/.
Someone with a knowledge of historical linguistics might comment on this.
However, such weakening is not uncommon in applicative and causative
derivations (e.g., no:chilia from no:tsa; e:witia from e:wa). Another
possibility is a valency increase (applicative; see Launey 1992, p. 188) from
a?wa to a?wia and subsequent compounding. There are some verbs that end in
?wa that have such valency increases (ka:wa > ka:wia)

atilia =nitla.  frecher el arco.  55m-10
I can only assume this is a metaphoric extension of the meaning of ?atl? as
?guerra?, also in Molina. Therefore it would be a verbalization. Note that
it is given with a tla- prefix, which would suggest that the object is not a
specific human but rather a general action (e.g., tla-tla:katilia, where
tla:katilia means ?to give birth to?).

axtic.  moist; watery.  b.10 f.7
There are a series of deverbal forms that have /x/. Many are from verbs
that end
in ?ni (kwalaxtli, cf. Launey 1992:281). However, in this case it probably
derives from a:+ya and then the participial form a(:)tik. Cf. a:laxtik from
a:lawa, etc.

ayotzincuepa =nin.  boltear al modo de espan~a.  55m-2
ayotzincuepa =nin.  boltear o trepar al modo de espan~a.  71m2-1
Yes, from ?turtle?. Modern Guerrero has ?a:yo:tsi:nkwepa (a:yo:tsi:nkopa;
note the two initial long vowels) meaning ?to turn somersaults/forward
rolls? Perhaps related to the turtle action in withdrawing its head into its
body. When one does a forward roll one tucks ones head into ones body.

chiccaloa =nonte.  echar por fuerza de casa a alguno.  55m-6
chiccalolli =tla.  echado assi; echado fuera de casa por fuerza.
     55m-6
chiccanahua =nite.  echar por fuerza de casa a alguno.  55m-6
I would go for chik- meaning ?off to one side? In Guerrero cho has an
intensifying sense of doing something intensely or constantly. e.g., cho
tlakwahtikah / cho tlakwahtok Thus a riddle that refers to a cuajiote (Bursera
sp.) with peeling bark asks nochi to:nahli cho tlake:nxixi:ntok. There is also
an intensifier that is added to many verbs chi:- or chi-. E.g., chipatla:wa
?to get ripped wide open leaving a gaping hole? or something to the effect.
However, I think in this case chik- is from the ?soslayo? meaning
(chikoki:stok). Launey (1992:272) discusses denominal verbs with ?oa but
these are intransitives. Therefore the problem of the second elements kaloa,
kalolli, kana:wa is more problematic.

chinequiztli.  nin~o que llora mucho.  71m1-16
Here perhaps the intensifier use of chi- or chiki- as a verbal prefix. Or
perhaps related to chi- as a palatalized diminutive. Who knows?

ixteouh =to.  nin~a del ojo.  71m1-16
This might be related to an inanimate possessor (or part/whole
possession). Thus
i:kal is ?his/her house? while i:kallo is ?its roof? (note that kalli
can mean ?shelter? or ?overhang? cf. kahkalli for ?toldo?. Thus one
would perhaps have i:xteyo:tl, possessed as ti:xteyo(w). I am unsure of the
nature of the ?w possessed marker on ?yo final stems. Often it is not
there. The nature of ?yo possessed forms needs a lot of work.

po:so:la:tl, yes from po:so:l-li + a:tl

Quoting "Campbell,  R Joe" <campbel at indiana.edu>:

> Listeros,
>
>   I know that everyone has problems, but somehow mine seem worse than
> anyone else's.  I'm hoping to get widespread help and suggestions on
> the ones that I have included below.  Actually, this is a small sample
> of the items from Molina and the Florentine Codex that are troubling me
> -- all of the rest of them are back at the ranch.
>
>   I would appreciate any ideas that y'all can offer.
>
> Iztayohmeh,
>
> Joe
>

> The prefixes follow the stem and are marked with '=".
>
> Most items are from Molina.
>
> I have been explicit about some of my doubts...
>

> ** I assume that "-toca" is 'believe', but what is "ahui-"?
>
>  ahuitoca =nin.  pensar alguno que le reprehenden otros y que le rin~en.
>     71m1-17
>  ahuitoca =nin.  tomar por si la reprehension que se da a
>    todos en general.  71m2-2
>  ahuitoca =nino.  sentirse dela reprehension,tomando porsi lo que en
>    general  se amonesta atodos.  71m1-19
>

> ** This looks like it should mean 'I melt something', but what does
>   that have to do with 'stringing a bow'?
>
>  atilia =nitla.  frecher el arco.  55m-10
>

> ** I can't account for the "x"
>
>  axtic.  moist; watery.  b.10 f.7
>

> ** "ninotzincuepa" would be transparent, but what is "ayo-"?
>
>  ayotzincuepa =nin.  boltear al modo de espan~a.  55m-2
>  ayotzincuepa =nin.  boltear o trepar al modo de espan~a.  71m2-1
>

> ** At one time I wondered if this was related to "chica:hua", but...
>
>  chiccaloa =nonte.  echar por fuerza de casa a alguno.  55m-6
>  chiccalolli =tla.  echado assi; echado fuera de casa por fuerza.
>     55m-6
>  chiccanahua =nite.  echar por fuerza de casa a alguno.  55m-6
>

> ** can this be related to "nequi"?
>   ...but what is the "chi-"?
>
>  chinequiztli.  nin~o que llora mucho.  71m1-16
>

> ** probably "i:xtli" and "tetl", and the "-uh" is a possessive marker,
>   but what is the "o"?
>  ixteouh =to.  nin~a del ojo.  71m1-16
>

> ** apparently "pozo:ni" and "atl", but the "l" doesn't fit;
>   when does "-ni" get lost like this?
>
>  pozolatl.  beuida de mayz cozido.  71m2-14

Jonathan D. Amith
Director: Mexico-North Program on Indigenous Languages
Research Affiliate: Gettysburg College; Yale University; University of Chicago
(O) 717-337-6795
(H) 717-338-1255
Mail to:
Dept. of Sociology and Anthropology