xinechpalehuican

jonathan.amith at yale.edu jonathan.amith at yale.edu
Mon Mar 5 18:09:46 UTC 2007

Hi,

Michel Launey would know more about these. In his 1992 book he discusses the
possessive forms of abstract nouns that end in -yo:tl (pp. 96ff) and
notes that
they do not accept the -uh (i.e., -w) possessed suffix.

However, there is perhaps something going on and maybe it is necessary to
disguish
- noun stem + yo (what I would call inanimate possession, which is extended to
certain body parts as a secondary meaning)
- [noun stem + yo:tl = abstract noun] + w (replacing the absolutive)
This would
be used with human possessors of abstract noun, at least sometimes.

This might have been something what was occurring.  But it is clearly not
completely pervasive (cf. te:nyo:tl > i:te:nyo 'his/her fame' and not
?i:te:nyo:w.

But neverthess, the forms below are all sorts of secondary human possession of
an intrinsic part-whole possession. Thus

cacmecayotl can also be expressed as cactli i:mecayo
chi:chiwa:la:yo:tl can also be expressed as chi:chi:wa:lli i:a:yo

Other cases are different. But there seems to be something interesting with the
yo+uh that I am not entirely familiar with.

best, jda

Quoting "Campbell,  R Joe" <campbel at indiana.edu>:

> Galen, Henry, Jonathan, and Marcelo [and Mary |8-) ]....
>
>   Thanks a million for the all the time and thought you put into
> today's suggestions!!  I will send an update on what I'm able to
> integrate -- along with
> further thoughts.
>
>   In the meantime, Jonathan's idea on "ixteouh, to" pushed me to take
> a look at items that I had like that and identify two more of them (-yo
> + -uh).
> Here is the list at present:
>
> icacmecayouh. his sandal thong.  FC.
>
> icnopillouh. his gains.   FC.
>
> incacmecayouh. their sandal thongs.  FC.
>
> inchichihualayouh. their milk.   FC.
>
> intlamecayouh. .   FC.
>
> intonacayouh. their maize, their corn.  FC.
>
> iteixayopapachocauh. its suppressor of tears.   FC.
>
> itlaquechpanyouh. .   FC.
>
> itonacayouh. his food.   FC.
>
> itonacayouh. his sustenance, his product of the soil.   FC.
>
> itzcuimpatiyouh. his price of dogs.  FC.
>
> motlalticpacayouh. .   FC.
>
> motonacayouh. your sustenance, your food.   FC.
>
> toyaoyouh. our battle.   FC.
>
> tzoyouh =to. seso el saluonor.   55m-18.
>   (seso is a misprint for sieso, alphabetized under "sie..."
>
> tzoyouh =to. sieso el saluonor.   71m1-19.
>
> yacayouh =notla. primogenito.   71m1-17.
>
> Again, thank you.
>
> Iztayohmeh,
>
> Joe

Jonathan D. Amith
Director: Mexico-North Program on Indigenous Languages
Research Affiliate: Gettysburg College; Yale University; University of Chicago
(O) 717-337-6795
(H) 717-338-1255
Mail to:
Dept. of Sociology and Anthropology