xiuh-, "big"

Frances Karttunen karttu at comcast.net
Wed May 16 17:41:57 UTC 2007

I am aware of xiuh- (short vowel as far as I can tell) used as an
augmentative in a very specific context.  In the one case for which I
can give some attestations, it is prefixed to an intransitive verb:
xiuhtlatla and to a related reflexive/transitive verb:
xiuhtlatia:.    In Molina the intransitive verb is glossed as being
hungry (burning with hunger), while in the Zacapoaxtla dictionary, it
is glossed as simply being hot ('tiene calor'). Molina glosses the
augmented reflexive verb as 'to be tired out, impatient' and the
corresponding transitive verb as 'to irritate someone.'  All of these
can be seen as metaphorically engaged in a slow burn.

At the time I came across it in these two sources, I associated the
xiuh- literally with green color. Namely, I thought that whereas we
distinguish extreme degrees of heat as red hot and, beyond that,
white hot, Nahuatl--dividing the spectrum somewhat differently in
terms of color names--might think of extreme heat as blue-green hot.

However, you are reporting xiuh- as an across-the-board augmentative
in Huastecan Nahuatl, and there may be a long vowel where my
attestations apparently have a short one.  The productive Huastecan
augmentative could be a generalization of something that started out
as more specific, or on the other hand, it may be something
completely independent.

Fran