Broken spears original

Frye, David dfrye at umich.edu
Tue Nov 13 21:04:02 UTC 2007

The first quote is from Sahagun's codex (the second probably is too). I don't have it with me, but James Lockhart's "We people here: Nahuatl accounts of the conquest of Mexico" contains the same passage and argues persuasively (well, persuasive to those of us who don't know Nahuatl!) that Leon Portilla mistranslated the first two words -- Lockhart says it should be "broken bones," not "broken spears."

David Frye
Latin American & Caribbean Studies - LACS
International Institute, University of Michigan
2607 School of Social Work Bldg
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1106
tel (734) 647 0844 - fax (734) 615-8880
http://www.ii.umich.edu/lacs/