Teuctli

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Tue Oct 9 16:29:21 UTC 2007

Regarding Fran's statement "In Milpa Alta the word has bifurcated, with the
original form retaining its meaning of 'lord' and a spelling pronunciation
based on tecuhtli having taken on the meaning of 'boss'": In the cassettes
prepared by José Concepción Flores Arce ("El Maestro Xochime") for teaching
Nahuatl, I hear [te:ku?tli]. In the accompanying book, in the vocabulary
list, I find "tecu'tli, (sust.) dirigente, gobernante." I also see the root
with the kw > k shift in the word "tecpampa, (sust.) palacio, oficina." El
Maestro Xochime is from Milpa Alta (in southeastern Mexico City). I assume
that the unusual (for a native speaker) pronunciation [te:ku?tli] is the
result of influence from Mexico City academics of the Garibay school. Fran
(or others): do you have any information or comments on this?

See: Flores Arce, José Concepción (Xochime’), Nitlahtoa, titlahtoa

¡Ma’titla’tocan nahualla’tolli! ¡Hablemos náhuatl!, Diálogos de apoyo para
practicar la lengua náhuatl del maestro Xochime, 2a. ed., Esperanza Meneses
Minor, asesora, México, Ce-Acatl, 2000.

If anyone is interested in the recordings (the third edition is on CD) and
book, they are available from the folks at Ce Acatl:
http://www.laneta.apc.org/ceacatl/.

Saludos,

David