macochtli

Campbell, R Joe campbel at indiana.edu
Tue Oct 23 19:04:55 UTC 2007

Galen and John and all,

   Whenever I see forms like "macochtli" and "temacochoa" (i.e., both
nominal and verbal shapes), my knee-jerk reaction is to try to
determine whether the noun comes from the verb or the egg from the
chicken.  In this case, I think the most straightforward analysis is to
assume that the underlying morpheme is a noun stem, "macochtli".

   The noun "macochtli" occurs (FC, B.10), unembedded and without
further derivation.
   It occurs with the -co suffix (imacochco, momacochco).
   It occurs embedded in the so-called "-eh suffix":  macocheh, timacocheh.

   "macochtli" occurs in two different "verbalized" derivations:

   -oa (transitive verb through the intransitive -ihui or -ahui):
                        temacochoa, momacochoa.

   -huia (apply to):   temacochhuia.

   The examples below were culled from the three Molina dictionaries
and the Florentine Codex.  'preterit forms from Molina.  'm1' and 'm2' refer to Molina, 1571,
Spanish-Nahuatl and Nahuatl-Spanish, respectively.

*macochtli ***

  macochoa     del otro. 71m1-1
  macochoa     enel cuello del otro. 71m2-9
  cuexane tepotze macoche.  administrator. b.10 f.1
  macochco , i-.  in her arms; in her embrace. b.6 f.17
  macochco , mo-.  in your embrace. b.6 f.4
  macoche.  . b.10 f.1
  macoche , ti-.  you are one who has cradling arms. b.6 f.17
  macochetica.  . b.1 f.1
  macochhuia , te-.  it causes one to embrace; it brings about embracing
    one. b.10 f.7
  macochoa     sobre los cuellos. 71m2-10
  mamacochoa     del otro. 71m1-1
  macochoa , te-.  he carries someone in his arms; it embraces someone.
    b.10 f.1
  macochoa , tla-.  it embraces something. b.10 f.7
  macochoani , te-.  one who embraces others; one who embraces someone;
    one who carries someone in his arms. b.3 f.4
  macochtli.  curved inner part of arm. b.10 f.7

Iztayohmeh,

Joe

p.s.  Of course, another candidate is "ma(itl)-cochtli" (patientive
noun from "cochi") -- calling to mind the image of a sleeping baby
carried in the crook of the arm.  But I'm conservative about
morphology. |8-)