Teuctli

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at mac.com
Tue Oct 23 21:44:54 UTC 2007

Sorry for the late comment on this topic. In Northern Veracruz
Nahuatl, we also have "tecohtli", "dueño", and "itecoh", "su dueño".
But I can't see how this could be a spelling pronunciation. The
Huasteca is peripheral to the Central Mexican writing tradition, and
I just can't see literacy as having had any significant impact on
speech in this area. Also, in this region a syllable final "w" sounds
very much like an "h", perhaps a bit more prolonged. In Tamazunchale,
only a few hours away, the sound is still pretty much like the "h",
but the rounding is perceptible.
John