Teuctli

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at mac.com
Thu Oct 25 01:24:20 UTC 2007

Fran,
	I don`t see very much influence of the Catholic Church in the
communities I visit in northern Veracruz. None have a church.
Parallel ceremonies are conducted for weddings (church and
traditional indigenous), but the Church has absolutely nothing to do
with ceremonies of death. Family alters have pictures of saints, but
even in this case, the concept of "saint" is indistiguishable from
that of the natural spirits which inhabit mountains. If there was an
initial round of baptisms during the colonial period, it looks to me
like the priest then packed up and moved back into the municipal
centers where they remain to this day.
	The word final position of the original "-uc" in "itecoh" may have
something to do with its changing into "coh". I've been trying to
think of other words that end like this, but I can't come up with
any. "neuctli", for example goes to "ineuchui" (i-neuc-hui) or
"inechui" (i-nec-hui) depending on how you want to spell it.
John