Why is a swallow called a swallow?

Frye, David dfrye at umich.edu
Tue Sep 11 23:09:10 UTC 2007

The [gh] spellings are my own fault. The OED uses the Old English letter "yogh" (look it up, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogh, if you want to see what it looks like), which I have no way of representing by email. My understanding is that yogh originally represented a voiced velar fricative. I have only heard the sound in real life when I was in Turkey and heard how "yoghurt" is really supposed to be pronounced; I've also heard it via radio in interviews with people from Gaza (or more properly, Ghazza).

Sorry about the extended off-topic etymologies. I guess my larger point is that sometimes seemingly logical similarities between words are just coincidences, though sometimes these coincidences can be reinforced by folk etymologies (or even by puns, I suppose).