chicomexochitl and the deer

Kelly McDonough mcdo0030 at umn.edu
Sun Sep 16 22:44:46 UTC 2007

Pialli,

 In   Hernando Ruiz de Alarcón’s  “Tratado de las supersticiones y
costumbres gentílicas que hoy viven entre los indios naturales de esta Nueva
España,” the Spanish translation of the nahuatl “chicomexochitl”  tends to
appear as “siete flores (el venado).”  Is this simply a calendrical
association, or am I missing something here?  From my perhaps limited
research of modern accounts of chicomexochitl, I have not heard of the deer
association.  Any insight, suggestions would be much appreciated.

Kelly McDonough

University of Minnesota - Twin Cities

Department of Spanish & Portuguese Studies

612/624-5529

mcdo0030 at umn.edu