Yecapixtla

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Fri Sep 21 18:09:41 UTC 2007

Ah, shucks. I'm almost always wrong, but I toss out the first card.

The front part Yeca looks like (y)eca- 'wind'.

(Of course, it could be a mangled yaca- 'nose'.)

The -tla seems to be the suffix that means 'where there is an abundance of'.

I don't know what the -pix- is, unless it's an original -pitz- and the
-tz- has assimilated to the following -tl-. That's plausible.

And pitz- suggests terms such as pitzahuac 'slender, thin', although
there could be a term such as *pitzli that would give us pitz in a
compound term, but I don't know *pitzli if it exists, and have no
dictionary with me at the moment.

Michael