dark/light skin color differences in pre- and post-conquest Mexico

Michael Stevenson mijobas at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 25 13:37:25 UTC 2008

Dear Listeros,

Does anyone know of or have any references to
differences of skin colors within Mexico, both in the
pre-Conquest and immediate post-Conquest eras?

I am working on a paper and it involves an image from
the Florentine Codex (I've attached it to this email
but am not sure whether it will make it through). It
is on 245 verso of Volume 2 of the Florentine Codex
and depicts people stoking the chest cavity of a
sacrificial victim with wood, in preparation for a
fire. The victim is light-skinned while the others are
dark skinned.

Are there any references to darker skinned people that
anyone knows of in any pre-Conquest context? This
illustration, of course, pre-dates casta paintings but
does anyone have any info or references on dark vs
light skin in the immediate post-Conquest period?

Please feel free to email me directly and thanks in
advance,

Best,

Michael Stevenson

Be a better friend, newshound, and