dark/light skin color differences in pre- and post-conquest Mexico

Kier Salmon k_salmon at ipinc.net
Fri Apr 25 15:09:43 UTC 2008

Bernal Diaz mentions skin color briefly.  He states that after the
fall of Tenochtitlan when the survivors were being processed into
slavery the conquistadores grabbed all the comely and "light skinned"
women they could and that this was a disgraceful way to act for them.
I also seem to recall a reference to women's makeup somewhere, that
they put ointments of yellow on their skin in an effort to lighten the
color.  ALl this suggests that they did have a color/skin tone
perception linked with status.
But the lighter skinned sacrificial victim may have been smeared with
ash.  THat I do remember is that they painted the skin of their
sacrifices.
THe purpose, I haven't yet found a statement as to why.
Having grown up in Mexico, I can state there are color variations in
"fully" indian villages, but I've never known if those are racial or a
product of mestizaje.