dark/light skin color differences in pre- and post-conquest Mexico

Dodds, Dr C.E. ced22 at leicester.ac.uk
Fri Apr 25 17:09:27 UTC 2008

Dear Michael,

It may not be relevant to this image, but don't forget that priests were painted black. I'm not positive of the context of this image as I'm away from my office and can't look it up, so can't be sure if this is relevant here, but it is extremely reminiscent of depictions of priests. And, appearing as it does in a ritual context, I would not dismiss this as a possible reference.

In addition, following up Kier's comment, about smearing ash on the skins of victims, victims were also sometimes painted white, which might be relevant here.

Yours,
Caroline
-------------
Dr. Caroline Dodds