dark/light skin color differences in pre- and post-conquest Mexico

Kier Salmon k_salmon at ipinc.net
Fri Apr 25 18:05:40 UTC 2008

Now, that's not what I remember.  In Bernal Diaz it does talk of the
"hedor" of the temples, but I seem to recall the color black was a
thick oil mixed with charcoal... and I am working without texts today,
so this answer is off the cuff.  It *should* be in the Florentine.
IIRC (If I Recall Correctly) "Heart of Green Stone" mentioned the
blood in the hair.  Admittedly Salvador de Madriaga did a lot of
research, but that was over 40 year ago.