ineixcahuil question

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Mon Dec 8 23:58:46 UTC 2008

Quoting Molly Bassett <mbassett at umail.ucsb.edu>:

Dear Molly,

> Hi, all.
>
> I'm working through several passages in SahagĂșn's General History
> that  contain the word ineixcahuil.  Dibble & Anderson translate the
> term  "his personal privilege," "characteristics" or "his special
> attribute" (2:52, 10:118a and 11:228), but I'm not sure how they
> determined these translations.

This is a good point. In working through Dibble and Anderson with Joe
Campbell and Pablo Garcia a couple years ago, we came across the
occasional D & S translation that was truly mystifying. I believe Joe
has made a collection of these.

In the term you have here, however, the boys are pretty much on the
mark. Yours is a noun, neixcahuilli, which, when possessed by the third
singular marker i-, drops the absolutive suffix -li. So, what you have
on your hands is a possessed noun.

There is a reflexive verb moixcahuia that means 'to work in private, to
mind your own business, or even 'to do one thing and not anything else'.

As you know, the reflexive nature of the verb requires the ne- prefix
when a noun is derived from it.

I believe you're right that ix- is 'face' or perhaps 'eye(s)' in this
case, and cahu- might come form 'cahua', but I don't know for sure
about that. Somebody will likely pipe in and clear that up, I imagine.

Hope this helps some.

Michael McCafferty

  In particular, I'm stuck on the final