"r" and "v"?

Frye, David dfrye at umich.edu
Thu Dec 11 20:44:37 UTC 2008

Apologies if this has already been answered...

Manuscript books (codices), at least from the colonial era, almost
always number sheets of paper, not pages. So the first page will be 1,
the second page will have no number, the third page will be 2, etc. This
system worked well enough for the people who wrote and read the
manuscripts, but when modern scholars cite texts from the old books we
want to know which side of the paper we are looking at, so we add "r"
for "recto" and "v" for "verso". The front of sheet 1 (page 1) is 1r,
and the unnumbered back of sheet one (page 2) is 1v, then 2r and 2v,
etc.

But you don't really need to know this for the footnotes -- just cite
them as they stand: 1v, 16r, etc.

-David

David Frye
Latin American & Caribbean Studies - LACS
International Institute, University of Michigan
3624 School of Social Work Bldg (note our new office address!)
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1106
tel (734) 647 0844 - fax (734) 615-8880
http://www.ii.umich.edu/lacs/