Chicago's Field Museum

Robert A. Neinast neinast at worldnet.att.net
Tue Dec 30 21:25:53 UTC 2008

I was at the Field Museum this past Sunday, where they currently
have their "The Aztec World" exhibit (through April 19). It's
a nice exhibit, but . . .

But I drove my wife nuts, because I could not refrain from
commenting about nearly every descriptive plaque, which
"told" us how to pronounce some the of the nahuatl words.

An example that illustrates the problem:

  tecuhtli (teh-COOT-lee).

Yes, that it what they had. They also had other
abominations like

  cuauhtin (kwah-oo-teen).

In splitting syllables, they also split "tl" and "tz",
putting the "t" at the end of one syllable,and the
"l" or "z" at the beginning of the next. Oh, and for a final
"tl" they had it pronounced simply as "t".

Why, oh why, couldn't they have consulted somebody who
knew something?

Bob
--
" . . . and shun the Frumious Bandersnatch."
Robert A. Neinast