Aztec World Ages and the Calendar Stone

Galen Brokaw brokaw at buffalo.edu
Mon Jan 21 22:33:18 UTC 2008

Dear Michel and Listeros,
I don't have an answer to Carl's question, but I would contest Michel's
assertion that Brotherston's analysis is "pure numerology" that has
"nothing to do with Mesoamerican culture, history or cosmovision." In
the interest of full disclosure, I should say that I studied under
Brotherston in graduate school, and I admire his work. However, I think
that I am fairly intellectually independent. With that disclaimer, I
would argue that to dismiss Brotherston's analysis in the way that
Michel does is problematic for several reasons.

There is certainly a lot of pseudo-scholarship on Mesoamerican cultures,
and, Michel, I share your frustration with it; but I don't see how
anybody could say that Brotherston's work falls into that category. It
is very misleading to say that his work, or even this particular
analysis, is a search for "cryptic codes, hidden messages, or mystic
signs." The implication is that indigenous texts are transparent and
that numerological readings of them are on a par with Western
numerological beliefs that have survived among small groups in modern
European and Euro-american societies. First of all, there are many
aspects of Mesoamerican iconography that we don't understand. And there
is a fundamental difference in the cultural importance of the modern
minority beliefs in new-age numerology and the dominant numerology of
ancient cultures in both Mesoamerica and Europe and the Middle East. In
Hebrew numerology, for example, it was believed that there was an
inherent relationship between numbers and the letters of the Hebrew
alphabet; and this was part of a dominant cultural perspective. It is
important to note that in the Hebrew tradition, this numerology informed
the production of texts in various different ways. This does not
necessarily mean, as some people believe, that the Bible contains some
sort of hidden code that predicts the future if we could only figure out
how to decode it. But I think it is generally accepted that Hebrew
literacy had a numerical dimension that manifested itself in significant
ways. It is believed, for example, that there are 22 books in the Jewish
canon because there are 22 letters in the Hebrew alphabet. This doesn't
mean that identifying this numerical dimension of the text holds the key
to some sort of mystical knowledge or even a hidden message, but it
certainly gives us a more thorough understanding of Hebrew textuality;
and in some cases, it may appropriately contribute to the way in which
we understand certain texts. "Numerology" does not have to have the
pejorative sense that it often has in modern Western culture. In any
case, whether you call it numerology or not, the fact is that in
Mesoamerican cultures indigenous numeracy is very complex (in many ways,
even more so than in Western cultures), and it plays an important role
in the integrated realm of politics, economics, religion, history, etc.,
and hence in the technologies of communication in which knowledge was
inscribed. It is well known that many indigenous pictographic texts
explicitly record quantities and sequences related to astronomical
observations and calendrics, and that other non-quantitative imagery
often has a numerical dimension. To be sure, the extent to which
iconographic imagery is infused with indigenous numerical significance
gets a bit tricky. It is often much less explicit, and hence more
controversial. I think this is part of Brotherston's argument that Carl
is trying to corroborate: for example, the numerical correlation of the
Fire Lord and Sun God to the numbers one and four respectively. In
general, though, trying to understand the significance of indigenous
numeracy through the way it informs and is reflected in indigenous texts
is not merely a "game of numbers and concepts."

To dismiss Brotherston's analysis because you are not familiar with any
sources that might justify his interpretation begs several questions. Of
course, it is always important to be judicious in areas where there is a
dearth of evidence. If Brotherston did not base his argument on an
analysis of indigenous sources, then a non-substantive "lack of
evidence" argument might seem compelling. But in fact there is abundant
evidence for reading the numerological dimension of these texts. The
argument Brotherston presents is based explicitly on a correlated
reading of numerous indigenous texts. In the pages to which Carl refers,
he is reading the Sun Stone, of course, but also the Mexicanus Codex,
the Tepexic Annals, the Rios Codex, the Paris screenfold, the
Cuauhtitlan Annals, the Vaticanus screenfold, and the Borgia.

Based on the casual way in which you dismiss Brotherston's analysis, I'm
assuming here (perhaps incorrectly) that you are familiar with both
Brotherston's book and the texts that he cites. If so, the implication
of your general dismissal of his argument is that although you
acknowledge that these sources exist, you don't feel that they justify
Brotherston's reading/interpretation. But you don't say anything
substantive to back up this refutation. It certainly may be possible to
refute Brotherston's argument, but in order to do so, you would have to
actually formulate your own interpretive argument based on your own
counter-reading of the texts that he cites and possibly others that he
doesn't. In other words, you would have to engage his argument and his
indigenous sources. Maybe you have already formulated such an argument.
If so, that would be an interesting and legitimate contribution to a
scholarly discussion. But you can't just refute him based on your own
merely asserted authoritative knowledge of the corpus of Mesoamerican
sources, particularly when Brotherston's argument is explicitly based on
an analysis of numerous primary texts. Regardless of whether or not
Brotherston's analysis is accurate, he has clearly done his homework,
and it is unfair and irresponsible to dismiss his work if you haven't
done yours.

Michel, I hope you don't take this personally. Even if Gordon weren't a
mentor and friend, I would caution everyone against refuting other
people's work in such a casual, non-substantive way. Even in the case of
the type of pseudo-scholarship that you mentioned, I think that it is
normally better to just ignore it. I must confess that I have been
guilty of doing the same thing for which I'm criticizing you with what I
felt was pseudo-scholarship. So this criticism is something that I have
self-reflexively applied to myself as well, for whatever that is worth.
I recognize that there are times when pseudo-scholarship gains a lot of
ground in the popular imagination and may even start encroaching on more
serious academic work. In those cases, it may be necessary to identify
it as such. But to the extent that it actually achieves some sort of
encroachment or legitimacy, it also deserves substantive refutation at
least once.

Again, however, I have a hard time seeing how anyone could classify
Brotherston's work as pseudo-scholarship. One of the premises of his
work is that we should take indigenous texts seriously, and that is what
he does in _Book of the Fourth World_; and he does it in a serious and
scholarly way. In a book as broad-ranging as _Book of the Fourth World_,
it would probably be hard to get everything right, and Brotherston would
probably be the first to recognize that. And I'm sure that some of his
arguments are controversial. But I don't think that there is any way
that you can call him a pseudo-scholar or layman. I have a lot more that
I could say about the theoretical and methodological framework, but I'll
stop here.

Galen Brokaw