Aztec World Ages and the Calendar Stone

Galen Brokaw brokaw at buffalo.edu
Tue Jan 22 14:38:02 UTC 2008

Michael,
Although I was not specific, you are right that I was referring in
general to Mesoamerican texts, not just the Maya. But I did not refer to
actual astronomical observations themselves. I referred to quantities
and sequences "_related_ to astronomical observations." Variations of
the calendar, which was originally based on actual astronomical
observations, were wide-spread in Mesoamerica. And there seems to be a
"numerology" associated with calendrics that extends to more general
cosmogony and religion. Thus, the numbers and sequences involved in
calendrics and cosmogonic numerology throughout Mesoamerica are
_related_ in one way or another to the astronomical observations
explicitly made by the Maya. I could be wrong, but I don't think that in
  general terms this is controversial. It seems to me that the
controversial part has to do with the extent to which, and the
particular way in which, indigenous texts are infused with numerological
significance.

Galen