Bizarre sentence

zorrah at att.net zorrah at att.net
Sat Jul 12 01:48:46 UTC 2008

Greetings,
I just found this post and the reference to my website http://nahuatl.info/research/genetics.htm
My site include a very rough draft article on the genetic migrations of the original inhabitants of "Ixachilan." I used Ixachilan because I learned that is one of the names that Nahuatl speakers use for our ancient homeland (The Western Hemisphere). I know native Nahuatl speakers from D.F., Cuentepec, and Puebla--all who use Ixachilan. Of course, there were no Nahuatl speakers in Siberia tens of thousands of years ago. However, I find nothing wrong with using Ixachilan instead of "America" or the Western Hemisphere.

I really don't understand what is so political about using Ixachilan.

Most of the research that I cite in the article is from primary literature. However, I do agree that the research needs a lot more development. Regardless, Ixachilan is simply another way to describe our (indigenous) ancestral homeland.

I really would love to read anything composed in English or any other language that is NOT "contaminated" with political bias. Seriously, what knowledge is politically free? Human language and knowledge are socially constructed by humans who contaminate everything with their humanity. If humans are not responsible, then please explain who is!

Citlalin
Citlalin Xochime, PhD candidate
Rhetoric & Professional Communication Program
New Mexico State University Department of English
citlalin at att.net

 -------------- Original message from Joseph Burch <jbb at virginia.edu>: --------------

  A quick Google on "nahuatl siberia" turned up the following articlecontaining references to "Ixachilan":

http://nahuatl.info/research/genetics.htm

An interesting article but, alas, one contaminated by political bias.

Joe Burch

Frances Karttunen wrote:On p. 157 in a volume titled Human Origins by Rob DeSalleand Ian Tattersall, beginning a section titled "The New World: But Notthe Newest," Al came across the following assertion:

"Many ancient homo sapiens from Asia apparentlydiscovered that the Bering Strait was an important barrier between themand a landmass of which they knew little.  The Nahuatl people ofSiberia even had a word for the Western Hemisphere, 'Ixachilan.'"

??????

Fran