motlaxcaloa etc.

Campbell, R. Joe campbel at indiana.edu
Thu Jul 17 23:01:59 UTC 2008

Hey Gordon,

   I really like your "...ify" glossing!  Would you mind if I use it in
the future?

   Your suggestion would have no problem if the verb "tlaxcaloa" were
transitive.  16th century Nahuatl already has reflexives used as
passives or impersonalizing elements:

   quipaca        he washes it
   mopaca         it is washed

   quichihua      he makes it
   mochihua       it is produced, it occurs (speaking of plants)

   But the problem is in the use of an object prefix on an intransitive verb.
It's a little more clear with "basic" intransitive verbs:

   *qui-choca
   *nech-nemi
   *qui-paqui

...and it's the same if the object is reflexive:

  *mo-huetzca
  *mo-pozoni
  *mo-huetzi

   BUT it could be suggested that "tlaxcaloa" is a *transitive* verb.
Of course, it would have to be in *addition* to its role as an
intransitive verb because of "nitlaxcaloa, nitamaloa, nayacachoa, etc."
(which have no objects).

   Considering this possibility, we would assume that transitive
"tlaxcaloa" is formed in two stages, since that's the way -oa
transitives are (tlilli > tlilihui > tliloa; acalli > acalihui >
acaloa, etc.).  The first stage would be "tlaxcalihui", which would
mean 'it becomes like a tortilla' and the second stage would yield
"nictlaxcaloa", meaning 'I cause it to become like a tortilla'.  But
there aren't any projective verbs which are formed from "tlaxcalli,
tamalli, ayacachtli, etc."

   Faced with "motlaxcaloa", one might propose that, for some reason,
verbs of this sort occur in the reflexive form.  Some people might be
worried because we see no cases of the posited intervening forms like
"tlaxcalihui, tamalihui, ayacachihui, etc." (not even a "tlaxcaliuhqui,
tamaliuhqui, ayacachiuhqui, etc."), but I think there is a strong
argument non-occurrent intervening forms.
What would worry me would be the semantic interpretation of the
resulting reflexive verbs.  Despite the fact that verbs like
intransitive "tlaxcaloa" would be interpreted like "quiquizoa", 'he
trumpetifies' and "camanaloa", 'he jokifies', reflexive "motlaxcaloa"
would seem to need to be interpreted as 'it is caused to become like a
tortilla' (because of its derivational path).

   I don't feel comfortable with the glossing on Nahuatl words, but you
probably have a better sense of their difference in meaning than I can
put into words.

   I thought your calling attention to verbs in English that are both
transitive and intransitive was a good idea.  Nahuatl certainly has
verbs like that (e.g., "chipahua" and "ehua") and I'll keep that in
mind.

Thanks for help in thinking and all the best,

Joe