[Aztlan] SACRIFICED INDIVIDUALS FOUND AT BANDURRIA

Kier Salmon k_salmon at ipinc.net
Tue May 20 16:21:51 UTC 2008

As I understand it pieces of the body were distributed to the warriors
who caught them and the bones were hung in individual houses.  Other
corpses were thrown into the lake.  The lake was a very active
ecosystem and it took the massive plagues of 1521 to oveyrwhealm it
with bodies.
Therefore there wouldn't have been mass grave dumps like we see in
modern genocidal atrocities.  If I recall correctly the heads were
hung by a specific lock of hair until they rotted out, boiled and
stacked along the pyramid sides, exposed to the elements.
I will go out on a limb here and do a thought experiment:  I think
that when the temples were rebuilt (which happened every 30-50 years)
the bones and skulls were ground up and used to make the new temple.
I'm not sure how much material would be identifiable from 2000, 1500,
500 years ago to tell us how many skulls and bones were used in the
mortar.
The mass sacrifices have caused controversy back and forth for
centuries, now.  I've read that the aztecs just used round numbers and
didn't really sacrifice the numbers in the codices (in defiance to the
very precise numbers used in surveying and tribute!)   I've read that
we should trust both the old priests (who were notorious for re-
writing the histories and burning the old books) and trust the new
priests, who very much wanted to show how necessary the whole
christian conversion thing was and that we should bring logic to the
question.
So using logic... Tenochtitlan was an island, heavily-densely
populated.  I've seen the pictures of the wrapped dead and read that
they were each buried under the hearth of the small houses.  (No
concept of graveyards.)  The nobles were burned or interred under
their palaces in small chambers.  So no cemeteries as we would
recognize them today, and the idea that the dead should be buried by
their families.  THey also had this idea that the sacrifice was
unfortunate and couldn't escape his fate to die far from his home.
Lack of buriel would probably be a logical consequence of that thought
process.
Where would they *bury* the bodies?  And why?  Another point to the
logic level is the lack of digging tools.  They had wood, flint and
stone.  Digging the hard, stoney earth of México with just those is
quite a labor.  Would they dig pits to hurl their dead sacrifices
into, all that labor?  Maybe, but with the lake right there and the
codices making it clear that the captor of the sacrifice had the right
to certain body parts and the use of the thighbones hanging in the
houses as protective charms for the man in battle, I can't see a need
for graves.
Or any way to substantiate or discredit the numbers the source
documents quote.