[Aztlan] SACRIFICED INDIVIDUALS FOUND AT BANDURRIA

Archaeology CSUMB archaeology.csumb at gmail.com
Wed May 21 16:19:47 UTC 2008

Listeros,

     In several recent publications, including those published in Vera
Tiesler and Andrea Cucina's *New Perspectives on Human Sacrifice and Ritual
Body Treatments in Ancient Maya Society* (Springer Press, 2007), and my own
paper on "Aztec Militarism and Blood Sacrifice: The Archaeology and Ideology
of Ritual Violence" published in the Richard J. Chacon and Rubén G. Mendoza
edition of *Latin American Indigenous Warfare and Ritual Violence* (Arizona
Press, 2007), discussions devolve from treatments of the forensic evidence
now available for such considerations.  In the "Aztec Militarism" paper I
review extant osteological and blood serum analyses and procedures, and
those sites now associated with mass burials.  Among these latter, the sites
of Tlatelolco and Cantona have resulted in the recovery of disarticulated,
decapitated, and "pot polished" human remains accounting for upwards of two
to three hundred individuals in each case.  Interestingly, in each instance,
the bodies were buried beneath the lime plastered courtyards at each site.
In the region of Tlaxcala, Garcia Cook has documented bone yards and kill
sites with men, women, and children numbering into the hundreds...replete
with ritual offerings.  At the site of Toluquilla, Queretaro, archaeologists
chanced upon the recovery of some 50 decapitated human heads recovered from
within the mortared platform at one end of one of the ballcourts at that
site...and indicated that many more heads were contained therein, but
conservation considerations led to the decision to leave the remaining 50 or
more decapitated heads in their original matrix of lime mortar.  In another
recent paper titled "The Divine Gourd Tree: Tzompantli Skull Racks,
Decapitation Rituals, and Human Trophies in Ancient Mesoamerica," published
in the Richard J. Chacon and David H. Dye edition of The Taking and
Displaying of Human Body Parts as Trophies by Amerindians (Springer Press,
2007), I document a host of sources for the massing of decapitated human
heads in sites from throughout Mesoamerica and beyond.  While many continue
to dispute the head count from the Huey tzompantli of Mexico-Tenochtitlan,
many of those who contest this number neglect to consider that the Huey
teocalli or Templo Mayor itself was in turn examined for human trophies, and
counts at the time of the initial entrada of the Spaniards tallied a total
head count for decapitated heads mortared into the facades of the Huey
teocalli at over 60,000...and that does not include all of the many
decomposed heads that were regularly, and systematically, cleared from the
Huey tzompantli on an ongoing basis.  So, given the growing mountain of
evidence for blood tribute centered on social violence taking the form of
ritual decapitation and dismemberment, and anthropophagy, I do believe it
would be much harder to make the case that the numbers fall below those
projected from selected sites documented by the Spanish at contact.  Adding
to this debate recent finds from Zultepec, Mexico, where the tzompantli's of
that site were found to bear the heads of decapitated Spaniards, including a
few European women and Mestizos, it is clear that this was standard practice
in the empire of the Sun.  When we add to this scenario the body count from
Zultepec, including some 550 Spaniards, Indian allies, Mestizos, Mulattos,
and Africans, documented both archaeologically, and by way of Spanish
accounts...it is clear that the pattern was widespread, and that the
Spanish, while maintaining agendas and propagandistic narratives, were
nevertheless able to count the dead among them with a fair degree of
accuracy.

Best Regards, Ruben Mendoza