[Aztlan] Aztec poetry

John F. Schwaller schwallr at potsdam.edu
Fri Sep 12 17:05:42 UTC 2008

To be honest, not much of quality, at least that I have seen thus far,
has made it on to the web.  The Brinton book, recently referenced, is
nearly 150 years old and is as much romantic fiction as a faithful
translation.  There is an extensive bibliography of Nahuatl poetry in
print, however, but in the curious and quaint tradition of paper and ink.

You can see Miguel Angel Garibay's 3 volumes of Poesia Nahuatl,
translated to Spanish

Mighel Leon Portilla has done a great deal, including Thirteen Poets of
the Aztec World, available from  U. Oklahoma Press, available in English.

John Bierhorst has translated the _Cantares Mexicanos, although many
scholars have serious arguments about some of the suppositions upon
which Bierhorst based his translation to English.

On my web page there are a couple of examples of Nahuatl poetry I use
for my students:

http://www2.potsdam.edu/schwaljf/Nahuatl/poetry.htm

Wendy Bacon wrote:
> My teenaged son is studying Latin America, and his teacher is
> starting with poetry by Latin American authors.  I thought it might
> be interesting to throw in a little poetry by indigenous Latin
> Americans.  I do have a few references in books to Yukatek and Nauatl
> poetry, but this is the on-line generation.  I've found an indigenous
> poetry website, but wasn't impressed.  Does anybody happen to know of
> some internet resources for native Latin American poetry with good
> scholarly underpinnings?
>
> Wendy
>

> Wendy J. Bacon, PhD
> Department of Anthropology