Olin

Gordon Whittaker gwhitta at gwdg.de
Mon Apr 13 08:04:43 UTC 2009

Dear Paul,

A paper devoted entirely to Olin (but focused on the aspect related to
earthquakes) has been published recently in the journal Indiana and can be
downloaded at:
<http://www.iai.spk-berlin.de/publikationen/indiana/bisherige-ausgaben/indiana-23.html>.

It's in German, but this is a hurdle to be overcome if you need
information on Olin for academic purposes.

Here are the refs.:

Thiemer-Sachse, Ursula
Olin. Zur Bedeutung von Erdbeben und deren Registrierung bei den Azteken.
Indiana 23 (2006): 309-344.

It is the most detailed study of Olin available, as far as I am aware.
However, the definitive study of the subject, which would require a
thorough command of Nahuatl and of Nahuatl writing and iconography, has
yet to be written.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Gordon

> Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 02:29:45 -0400
> From: "macehual08 at gmail.com" <macehual08 at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Nahuat-l] studies of "olin"
> To: nahuatl at lists.famsi.org
>
> Could anyone point me in a direction toward information about "olin" (as a
> concept, a glyph, a word, etc.) I would be interested in any material,
> linguistic, philosophical approach to olin.
> I'd appreciate any titles of books or articles (in Spanish, French or
> English)--or even suggestions for researching the topic. You may e-mail me
> directly with any hunches.
>
> Thanks!
> Paul

Gordon Whittaker
Professor
Linguistische Anthropologie und Altamerikanistik
Seminar fuer Romanische Philologie
Universitaet Goettingen
Humboldtallee 19
37073 Goettingen